Monday, 15 September 2014

Walk and guiding in Chaidari ( Palataki - Nicholas Gyzis Building- Botanical garden Diomidis - Monastery of Dafni)

Palataki has been declared as preserved building, owned by the Municipality of Haidari since 1979. The building is located at the Athens Avenue. It’s a romantic historical architecture style with New-Gothic elements and fortified features.
The two floors of the Tower consist of decorated rooms, ceiling paintings, stately furniture, attic and basement.
Today in the Tower Palataki is accommodated the Intellectual Center of the Municipality of Haidari and the Library
Click here and here and here and here  to see some photos from workshop in Palataki.
Nicolaos Gyzis’ Building has been declared as preserved building in the Municipality of Haidari and is located at the forecourt of the Tower Palataki .
The walls of the building are full with paintings of Gysis called “The Four Seasons”: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter. The last one is missing since the devastating decades of Noeclassicism, when the place of the “Winter” took a window. This work of art reveals all the details of how the yard of the building was, at the time when Nicolaos Gyzis lived there. (From 1865 to 1870).
The Botanic Garden of Diomidis
owned by the University of Athens, extends over 1500 acres and includes a rich collection of flowers and plants around the world. According to the International Association of Botanic Gardens is a museum, which exposes scientifically documented plant collections.
Apart from its educational value, it’s one of the major recreation areas and parks in Athens. It’s a place worth to be visited from young and old lovers of the nature.

Click here and here  to see some fotos from Sept. 4th - workshop in the botanical garden in Chaidari
The Byzantine Monastery in Dafni
is located on the foot of the Mountain “Poikilo”, at Athens Avenue and was built on the place, where the Temple of Apollon in Dafni, used to be. Since 1990, has been designated as a UNESCO world heritage, while the earthquake in 1999 caused severely damages to the monastery, which are being restored gradually.
The Monastery of Dafni was built probably around 1080, sponsored by an unknown benefactor, as no dedicatory inscription was found.

The Dafni Monastery consists of the church, the precinct, the monks” cells, the Holy Table, the kitchen, the baths, the cistern and a rectangular room. The monastery dates back to the late 11th century and represents the architectural type of the octagonal cruciform church. The mosaics in the cathedral are the best preserved of the first period and the most representative is the one which depicts Christ the Almighty inside of the dome.

No comments:

Post a Comment